Associate Coach Jim Verheul
- Active racer since 1984 with experience in road, TTs, and ultra marathon cycling on both road bikes and recumbents, cyclo-cross, MTB XC and DH racing, randoneurring.
- Former USAC/NORBA racer (cat2/expert), official, and promoter of over 30 races. President of 2 cycling clubs. 8 years as a pro bike shop service manager and fitting specialist.
- Sebring, FL, UMCA 24hr overall course record holder: 523.9 miles.
- World 12 Hour Time Trial Champion 2012.
- Highest overall UMCA Ultracup 12 Hour Challenge mileage: 768 miles in 3 events, 2 are still course records.
- Coached Sebring 24hr Women's RAAM Qualifier record holder, and overall RAAM Qualifier winner in 2012.
- Coached the rookie 2010 Bent Up Cycles RAAM Team to third place in age group.
- JBVCoaching client and powermeter user since 2005.
- Mentor to newer riders for 2 decades.
- Available for ultra cycling events as a crew chief, navigator, mechanic, driver.
- References available upon request.
- Listen to Jim on Over The Top Radio, an interview from March, 2012.
- Email Jim, or call him at (805) 750-1786
"Several years into my riding I had begun doing 12 hour events, but I was feeling burnt out and at the same time wondered if I had reached my potential.
I read an article by Jim "JV" Verheul at UltraRaceNews.com and was really impressed with what he had written and the scientific approach he seemed to take. I asked JV if he would be willing to coach me for the 2012 Sebring 24 hour RAAM qualifier race. He agreed and began giving me high quality work-outs. We live on opposite coasts so all coaching occurred by e-mail and phone, which worked very well.
I was accustomed to doing a lot more mileage, but I enjoyed the challenging work-outs. JV helped me with every part of riding and racing. We talked about my technique and he gave me suggestions to improve mine. He helped me with specific hydration and nutrition plans. He discussed lighting and gearing and wheels with me, and made sure my bike was set up correctly for the race. He also encouraged and listened to me. He is an expert about all aspects of cycling and bicycles and is an incredible cyclist himself. He shared his knowledge willingly with me and I have learned so much during the time he has coached me. The results at Sebring exceeded my highest goals, and I set a new course record for women! I am looking forward to continuing to grow as a cyclist as I continue working with JV."
— Maria Parker
2012 24H RAAM Qualifier open winner (475.5 miles), 24 Hours of Sebring
"I first became aware of Jim through a couple of on line forums. I was new to cycling; and it was apparent that he was seen by the other forum members as an authority on all things bike. After reading several of his posts, I went back and read everything he had written on the forums. Now it's three years later and I'm still learning from him. He's extremely knowledgeable on equipment, aerodynamics, training, and nutrition. He enjoys coaching, and seeing his clients improving and reaching their goals. Oh, and he's the fastest guy I know on a bike."
— Eric Anderson
"Jim took me from a recreational ultra cyclist who bonked much too often to a team RAAM winner in five months with straight forward training schedule and careful attention to the power meter, proper fueling during rides, and proper recovery after them. Although some parts of the training were hard both mentally and physically, the over package was fewer hours and much more effective than my previous year of my own ad hoc training. I watched my average speeds on regular courses improve dramatically, yet I was not burned out after the rides. Use of the power meter was key, as prior to that I really had no idea how extreme my power excursions were and how severely that affected my muscle glycogen stores. Thanks Jim! I'm looking forward to how well this works for upcoming monster climbing double century rides."